Adjusting an invoice

Instructions, Hints & Tips, Ask for Help
jerry12953

Adjusting an invoice

Post by jerry12953 »

Is there any way at all of changing the content of an invoice once it has been printed or finalised?

I see that the manual recommends creating an identical but negative credit note and then a new, correct, invoice.

But that is a lot of extra work when the mistake might have been as simple as omitting a customers order reference!

jerry
abctech
Site Admin

Re: Adjusting an invoice

Post by abctech »

Simple answer: No.
Expanded answer: From years of experience we've found that this is the only safe way to work. For example, someone prints an invoice and posts a copy to their customer, then spots a mistake on the invoice. If they could simply change the invoice and reprint it, all manner of bad things could result. Not the least of which being that accountants and VAT men like ABC because it works like it does. It makes fraud just a little more difficult.

You can of course print the invoice before finalising (as a ProForma) and then change something before printing the real invoice. But that's extra work also.
(There is no question about ABC that we can't answer :-)
jerry12953

Post by jerry12953 »

The most likely time for mistakes to be spotted in my experience is while you are putting the order together using your own copy of the invoice. That's how it is for me anyway.

The invoice is then included with the order or posted separately. At that point I agree that it would be wrong to change the invoice.

And while I'm at it, it seems to be impossible to print two copies of an invoice despite requesting two in the print dialogue.....

Maybe i should print a proforma first to put the order together and then the invoice when everything is complete.
abctech
Site Admin

Post by abctech »

Exactly right.
You can print the Pro-Forma as a Delivery Note or Packing Slip to go in with the goods. As you pack the goods you might make changes to the delivery note (eg goods found damaged). Then you edit the unfinished invoice to reflect the changes, finalise it and print the real invoice.

We have tested the invoice copies function and it works perfectly when tested. If you print 2 copies of an invoice, ABC stores "2 Copies" in the registry of your computer. Next time you go to print an invoice, ABC reads the Registry and then sets the printer to that number of copies as a default (you can change it).
If this isn't working for you, it could be one of the following:
a) your printer is not telling ABC (via Windows) how many copies it just printed. ABC would then default to 1.
b) the computer registry is not storing the number of copies. For example, if you log into Windows as one
user you might see a different "registry" compared to a different user. If you log in as a guest, maybe
Windows regards your Registry settings as temporary and just for this session.
c) ABC may be telling the printer to print 2 copies but the printer ignores this and just prints 1.

If it's the printer that turns out to be the culprit, we are talking about the printer DRIVER, not the physical printer istelf. SSo going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the latest driver might help.

If you do some more tests you might identify where the problem lies. As it is such a relatively small problem, it might not be worth the effort -- just press the print button twice instead.
(There is no question about ABC that we can't answer :-)
jerry12953

Post by jerry12953 »

by jerry12953 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:53 am

"Maybe i should print a proforma first to put the order together and then the invoice when everything is complete."

This seemed like a reasonable workaround for the problem I was experiencing, but then I discovered the drawback......

The proforma - my paper copy of the invoice - does NOT have the invoice number on it! Grrrr........
OldBaldGit

Post by OldBaldGit »

PrpFormas can be cancelled at any time, or left uncompleted for many months so i think that's why the real invoice number is not put on it until you finalise it. You are using it as a packing list or delivery note and those gnerally do not have the invoice number on.