Backing up on google drive

Instructions, Hints & Tips, Ask for Help
APH

Backing up on google drive

Post by APH »

Hi

Is it the only backup option having to put it on a removable drive using the backup function through ABC?

Is it possible to set Google Drive to be assigned to automatically backup a particular folder? If so, which folder should it point at?

I find no other option to do this as the pc won't let me back up unless I have inserted a memory stick drive.
Just find it a pain having to transfer off memory stick onto my computer to put on google drive when it would be alot easier to do direct.

Thanks
abctech
Site Admin

Re: Backing up on google drive

Post by abctech »

Is it the only backup option having to put it on a removable drive using the backup function through ABC?

No. ABC will backup to any drive letter you choose. This might be a memory stick or a network drive or another hard disk.

You could create a folder on your hard drive; set it to be shared; map it as a drive letter.
Then tell ABC to backup to this drive letter. And set Google Drive to automatically backup this folder.

Or even easier: tell Google Drive to backup the ABC6 folder (this contains all ABC programs and databases). (This applies only to the single-user version ABC. For multi-user version you need to backup the database folder on your server).
BUT.... When ABC backs up it creates a new backup file with the date and time stamp, so you can keep multiple backups. If you backup the ABC6 folder with Google drive, you might simply be overwriting your previous backup; not such a safe arrangement.

The above applies also to other cloud backup systems. eg. Norton, Acronis, etc.
(There is no question about ABC that we can't answer :-)