VAT Inspection

Any discussion vaguely related to ABC and business
OldBaldGit

VAT Inspection

Post by OldBaldGit »

I got a vat inspection next week and an dreading it, Is this going to be a tough grilling from some men in suits?
abctech
Site Admin

Re: VAT Inspection

Post by abctech »

I wouldn't worry. They are usually very friendly, and the inspector is as likely to be a young female as an old bloke in a suit. Just make sure you've tea and biscuits aplenty.

(ABC users have been surviving VAT Inspections for 20 years, and there have never been any complaints about the paperwork -- unless you've forgotten to enter some things.)

Let us know how you get on.
(There is no question about ABC that we can't answer :-)
halftone

Post by halftone »

Seconded. Basically they just want to check you are doing things right. If you've made a few small mistakes they will just explain where and why. I was told I had been actually paying them slightly too much by not reclaiming some inputs that I could. They liked the ABC reports, and (especially) that I had each months receipts kept in separate bundles.

It was really no problem at all. But I daresay it goes rather different if they suspect you of deliberate fraud or evasion. They do know what they're doing, and I'm sure it's very rare that they make a misjudgement. The way I understood it, they are making an assessment of whether you can be trusted, or need a lot of watching. Unless you're trying to hoodwink them they'll be nice and pie, drink your tea, and you'll not see them again for years.
LiverGrease1

Post by LiverGrease1 »

My main problem is the vat code. N,E,0....eg bank charges etc. I have had Vat, HMRC, & Factory inspections they have had
an agenda and seemed to have a target. It is now my policy to keep them cold and no tea or coffee! I confirm that they like
ABC , files of docs and a place to spread out. At this time of year they could be in a hurry to clear their back log.
Hope to hear your (favourable) result. Regards Chris
OldBaldGit

Post by OldBaldGit »

Happy to say there wsn't any problem with vat inspection. Theyd even heard of ABC.

Thnx 4 all the comments previous. You were right, it was no bother.
AndyMarrs

Post by AndyMarrs »

I agree that a VAT inspection is nothing to worry about as long as you are letting ABC do its stuff without interference. I've had 4 or 5 such inspections and not had a problem.

However, an audit from the revenue department of HMRC is a different kettle of fish. We have just had one such, and, although we came out of it with a relatively clean bill of health, they are extremely nit picking and it is quite clear that, to justify their existence, they have to go home with some money.

But the point of this post is to tell you thet they were "Impressed with our software" (still ABC5 although we will be going to ABC6 soon) which they hadn't seen before - they normally get Sage. They particularly liked the flexibilty of the program which allowed me to provide them with anything they wanted without delay, and they liked the report layouts. Wait till they see ABC6!