New FIND function

New features, and your Wishlist
abctech
Site Admin

New FIND function

Post by abctech »

I feel the slide out FIND function (to locate a Customer or Supplier or Stock item, etc) could be improved. So we are working on various new designs. One of the main changes will be that it will always be visible on the screen. Screens these days are generally bigger these days so there should be space for both the FIND bar and the record Card.

Another proposed change will be to move the NEXT and PREVOIUS buttons onto the Find panel (taking them off the ribbonBar). This may be more logical.

What do you think?
(There is no question about ABC that we can't answer :-)
redwoodsteve

Re: New FIND function

Post by redwoodsteve »

I have been thinking for a while now that the Record Card itself could be larger than it is, there's a lot of info crammed into a relatively small box. Is there any way you could use the windows 'drag / re-size option' to make the Record larger to suit the individual user (and be able to save it)?
abctech
Site Admin

Post by abctech »

It has always been our intention to (someday) allow users to specify which fields to display on the first page of the Customer record card. And over the years we have experimented with all sorts of ideas -- even doing away with the "record card" altogether and just having a grid view. We tried having all the screen items "eastic", so as you dragged the window larger everything grew; however there are so many items on screen that this made everything really slow. But we are always looking to improve things. Ideas very welcome.
dazedandconfused

Post by dazedandconfused »

Hi, I've only just read this thread, but, YES PLEASE, I would love a find option that is always open. (I don't use the NEXT/PREVIOUS options, so I'm not bothered what happens to them, but I use FIND all the time.)

Also, if I type something into the FIND option, and it doesn't find a suitable record card, it won't let me delete any characters from the find box in order to amend what I've typed and to change it to something similar. I have to close down the FIND option, by pressing CANCEL, and then reopen FIND and start typing again from scratch. Can this sorted?
ScotsPlumber

Post by ScotsPlumber »

dazedandconfused wrote:Also, if I type something into the FIND option, and it doesn't find a suitable record card, it won't let me delete any characters from the find box in order to amend what I've typed and to change it to something similar. I have to close down the FIND option, by pressing CANCEL, and then reopen FIND and start typing again from scratch. Can this sorted?

Easy way to get around this is first cliick in the list above the find box. Then you can edit the find box.
dazedandconfused

Post by dazedandconfused »

Easy way to get around this is first cliick in the list above the find box. Then you can edit the find box.

Aaaah - magic. Thanks for the tip, ScotsPlumber.
(Note to ABC: it would still be good to get it fixed though.) ;)
abctech
Site Admin

Post by abctech »

The new FIND function now available for download from the website.
Version of ABC6 is v6.239 and it was uploaded 22 DEB 2010.

There is a new update for ABC6 on the website
version 6.239

The familiar NEXT and PREVIOUS buttons are gone, and the grid of customers now defaults to staying on screen all the time (instead of sliding away when not used). Same applies to Suppliers, Headings and Stock records.

There is a new SHOW ALL button which only appears when you have "filtered" the records (by entering something in the Find box). Show All cancels the filter and displays all the records again.

Your comments and suggestions welcome.